The Office of the Deputy President wishes to state as follows on the widely reported matter regarding the visit of one, Rashid Echesa, former Sports Cabinet Secretary, to Harambee House Annex:
1. The Office of the Deputy President is a public office, which by operation receives visitors and access to the premises is subject to strict security protocols that apply to government installations in that category.
2. Anyone who accesses the Office of the Deputy President is duly documented and proper records of the particulars of all visits, including CCTV coverage taken.
3. A review of CCTV footage shows that on Thursday, February 13, between 9.39.05 am and 10.02 am (a total of 23 minutes, as per the recording), Mr Echesa in company of two men visited the Office claiming he had an appointment. Security officers manning the reception ushered him and two men in his company, to the public waiting room, as is the standard applied procedure to all visitors.
4. The Deputy President was not at the Office at the time as he was working from his Karen Office before he left to attend a funeral in Murang’a County that morning. On checking his diary there was no such an appointment.
5. When they were informed that the Deputy President was not in, Mr Echesa and his entourage left.
6.On the material day, His Excellency the Deputy President was not scheduled to work from Harambee House Annex and did not visit the premises at any point.
7. The Deputy President was not scheduled to meet with the former Cabinet Secretary. Neither did Echesa have any appointment.
8. Mr Echesa and his team did not meet any officer who works for the Deputy President otherthan the security officers manning the reception. Chief of Staff, Ken Osinde, Private Secretary Reuben Maiyo and Personal Assistant Farouk Kibet were not in Harambee House Annex on the material day as alleged by the media.
9. Mr Echesa and the men did not access any other office other than the public waiting room.
10. The Office of the Deputy President does not procure goods and services for any state department or entities; neither does it provide legal, technical or facilitative services for signing agreements, let alone in its public waiting room.
11.The DCI has written to Harambee House Annex requesting for access and review of the CCTV coverage, which request was granted and officers facilitated the review of entire footage and interview of security personnel who were on duty.
12. The Deputy President considers this a very serious matter involving a government office and being an issue that has recurred in many such offices wants investigations expedited devoid of political and media propaganda.
Office of the Deputy President