Nandi Governor Stephen Sang has faulted a statement issued by the National Police Service in relation to police killings in Lessos.
Through his official social media pages, Governor Sang said the statement by the police headquarters shows that they had been misinformed over what transpired.
The County Boss said there was no attempt by residents to attack or snatch a rifle from the police officers as alleged in the statement signed by police spokesperson Charles Owino.
“For the record, no arresting police officer was attacked neither were there any attempts to snatch a rifle by wananchi/ Bodaboda operators as alleged. This kind of misinformation received by Police Headquarters must be treated with the contempt as a one sided story by those officers trying to absolve one of their own,”Sang said.
In the statement, the National Police Service had claimed that bodaboda riders attacked a police officer who had arrested their colleague and attempted to snatch his rifle leading to the fatal shooting.
This according to Governor Sang is a false state of account. Sang has called on the Independent Police Oversight Authority (IPOA) to conduct thorough investigations into the police shootings which led to loss of three lives.
He said the County Government had instructed its legal team to pursue justice on behalf of the three victims of incident he termed as ‘extrajudicial killings’.
He said the incident was not the first as a police officer from the same station shot a man two years ago.
“It is instructive to note that less than 2 years ago, another police officer from the same police station shot and killed an innocent young man under same circumstances. It is unfortunate that the culprit officer was never prosecuted but merely transferred to another work station,” the Governor pointed out.
Governor Sang said the level of police brutality and disregard of the rule of law was unacceptable.
“The Police Service Commission must put more effort in dealing with rogue officers who are giving the entire service such a bad and terrible reputation,” he added.
The governor visited Lessos on Thursday following the incident. During the visit Sang called for the immediate arrest of the officers involved in the shootings.